We’re Bite Society. Think gift baskets, but cool

Dear Pookie, Mrs. Muffin, and Charlie…

Posted by Lendy Hensley on

Dear Pookie, Mrs. Muffin, and Charlie…

I write the personalized notes you add to baskets. Funny that writing most of the notes fall to one person, but my job is to print the packing slips and get the orders “pack ready.” That includes writing your notes… your adorable, heartfelt, sentimental notes. I love this part of my job.

There is a fair amount of consternation for me in writing the notes… do I correct typos? Spelling mistakes? Grammar? I am no amateur English teacher and most recognize me as a poor speller, but I am oddly a good proofreader. Is this imposing my will on another’s note? What if the gaff was purposeful and an inside joke? Will my work one day be put in a collection of notes gone wrong like all those birthday cakes you see memed?

I have noticed that I occasionally forget letters while writing with pen. I think the computer takes care of these missing final letters but my pen is unforgiving to this grammar tic of mine. If “I love you” was written “I lov you,” most likely that was me. For this, I am sorry. I have started to proof my own work after catching two of these errors in a single day.

Now let’s talk emojis. Our on-line card system doesn’t allow for true emojis to be added – it is strictly textual. The first emoji I got in a note, I literally penned :) on the card. I immediately started laughing at my 1988 ways. In general, once we move beyond basics :) :( :| ;)… I get a bit lost. :-* threw me for a loop that required me looking it up on the internet (yes, there is a wiki page). Not trusting my ability to make a kissy face, I signed xoxo.

Now we get to signing the note. Approximately 60% of you sign your notes. The other 40% leave much interpretation for me to do. We have had more than one call from a recipient asking who sent the gift. Some part of Junior High School learning comes into play for me when it comes to signing the note in absence of a signature. I call this my contextual interpretation rubric:

  1. Does the note contain personal information or an inside joke?
  2. Is the note written from a singular person? I.e. “I am so proud of you!"
  3. Is the note written from a group? I.e. “We miss you!”

Yes? Don’t sign the note and include the packing slip in the basket so the recipient can see who sent the basket.

Once I decide to sign the note, I have to deal with how to sign the note. “Love” is a big call for me to make. I don’t just go throwing that word around. However, not using “Love” could put the giver in a bind that I really don’t intend to create. “Cheers” is pretty good as a stand-in for some messages. “Yours” starts to border on “Love” and might create a thicket for you. A simple dash might work. A heart is occasionally added. I sometimes leave the card while working on something else and think on it. I harken back to Elementary School Valentine’s Cards – “Your Pal,” “Sincerely,” “FFE (Friends Forever!).” None are correct, all are lacking when only “Love” will do. So, if I have made the wrong call on your card, sorry.

  1. Write a note – don’t skip it
  2. Know that there is no judgement from me
  3. Sign your note

Love, Sincerely, Yours Truly, Always and Forever,

Katy

← Older Post Newer Post →

Sale

Unavailable

Sold Out